With its mild climate, 3000 hours of sunshine per year and 850 kms of splendid beaches bathed by the Atlantic Ocean, Portugal is the perfect holiday destination all year round.
Portugal has the oldest borders in Europe. Within these borders you will find an exceptional range of different landscapes. from the mountainous northwest, the vast plains of the central regions and rolling hills and flat countryside of the Algarve, one of Europe's premier resort areas that sits along the warm waters of the Mediterranean Sea.
Situated in the extreme south-west of Europe, just a few hours from any of the other European capitals, Portugal attracts visitors from all over the world. Portugal has a rich, unique culture, lively cities and beautiful countryside. The country offers outstanding landscape diversity, due to its North-South disposition along the western shore of the Iberian peninsula. You can travel in a single day from green mountains in the North, covered with vines and all varieties of trees to rocky mountains, with spectacular slopes and falls in the Centre, to a near-desert landscape in the Alentejo region and the glamorous beach holidays destination of the Algarve.
Architecture from Romantic to Gothic and Renaissance abound everywhere! Many visitors are unsure of the destinations to visit during their vacations. Possibly you are interested in visiting beautiful monuments and enjoying remarkable views. If so, Lisbon, Sintra, and Porto are the top three places. Nearby these are many others, often not seen my visitors yet well worth a visit, are Viana do Castelo, Braga, Guimarães, Coimbra, Tomar, Aveiro, Amarante, Bragança, Chaves, Lamego and Viseu, Vila Real. Towards the south are Lagos, Silves and Évora. In Portugal one can easily find very old romantic churches, some older than 900 years and still quite unchanged from that time.
The most popular beaches are in the Algarve, which has stunning coastlines and gobs of natural beauty. The water along the southern coast tends to be warmer and calmer than the water along the west coast, which is definitely Atlantic and doesn't benefit of the Gulf Stream. For surfing, or just playing in the surf there are great beaches all along the west coast, near Lisbon and Peniche. Don't forget also some of the almost deserted beaches along the Costa Vicentina, in Alentejo.
Contact Spain & Portugal Vacations
To know Portugal without joining public tour groups, feel free to contact us.
To learn about Portugal and the many places to visit, we've made available the following information.
Take some time to read and let us know where you wish to visit !
A historic region that is considered the birthplace of the nation. Includes the second largest city, Porto.
|North Central Portugal|
|South Central Portugal
The capital, Lisbon, Estremadura and the Upper Alentejo.
The beaches and sun of the Algarve and the laid-back pace of the Lower Alentejo.
Cities & Select Destinations
- Albufeira - Main tourist destination in the Algarve.
- Aveiro - the "Venice" of Portugal.
- Braga - city of Archbishops.
- Coimbra - home of the ninth oldest university in the world.
- Évora - "Museum City", Alentejo regional capital.
- Faro - The administrative centre of the Algarve.
- Fátima - Pilgrimage destination.
- Funchal - the capital of Madeira.
- Guimarães - the founding place of the nation.
- Lisbon - national capital, city of the seven hills.
- Porto - "Unvanquished City", along the river Douro and the Atlantic Ocean.
- Viana do Castelo - Famous for the Nossa Senhora da Agonia Festival.
- Praia D'El Rey
- Peneda-Gerês National Park
- Douro & Coa - river valleys
- Cabo da Roca - the westernmost point of mainland Portugal and European continent, near Cascais
- Serra da Estrela
- Coa Valley a registered World Heritage Site
- Óbidos - Roman settlement, located on a hill top